Exhaust Assembly

Anything you like really.Wheels/Tyres/Tanks/Brakes e.g running gear etc :)
Forum rules
Use Search function for subjects

No Racism.Slanging Matches(unless witty and funny :)
No spamming.Anonymous posting disabled.Ad bots pay for the site.

Exhaust Assembly

Postby tworivers » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:39 pm

does anyone know a easy way of putting the exhasut system back together.

I have just purchased some new bushes for the collector box, on reassmbly the silencers seem to be about 10mm of relocating back into the frame ( the bracket on the silencer) How far should the bushes be pushed in, i think i have pushed them far enough because the collector box narrows just after were the spacers go.

I have left all the other bolts loose, ie the down pipes and collector box.

Any idea's welcome.
tworivers

Re: Exhaust Assembly

Postby Gman » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:47 pm

I don't use the spacers/gaskets and wrap alloy tape around instead so cannot give a definitive answer.What I can say is slack off the bolts on the collector box a little to let you move all the parts of the exhaust so they play nice when all fitted together.

Note:This is not the same as the Exhaust manifold gaskets the go into the heads.I use the proper ones for that.

HTH :)
Gman
Site Admin

Location: Hull.Yorkshire.UK.2x1980 CX500ZABs:Citroen ZX TD(250,000 miles)

Postby tworivers » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:29 pm

Thanks for that, i have left everything slack, no bolts in collector box apart from the one that fit into the slot on the casing but that is slack all other bolts also slack, i just wonder with them being after market parts that they might be out of size ie slightly to long.

I am going to have another go tomorrow, might cut them down slightly ?

I will let know how i get on. if not i might have to go for the ali tape, never heard of that i wish i had because the gasket/sleeves are £22.00 lol :shock:
tworivers

Postby Gman » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:46 pm

I've had trouble even with so called OEM parts/Collector boxes not matching in length etc.With these bikes being old there's lots of variables.I nipped down to an exhaust place I use for my car and asked to nick a bit of pipe out of their bins that was larger diameter than my down pipes.Hack-sawed a couple of sleeves to beef up the diameter of the end of the down pipes and then apply Alloy exhaust tape,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10M-ALUMINIUM-EXH ... 4cf57feba7

I also use the tape on my cans.Smells a bit as it burns on but works.Problem with those gaskets is they break dead easy and are way too expensive for what they are IMHO.I'd rather bodge on the cheap.

PS
Put your location in your sig or under your Avatar.
Gman
Site Admin

Postby tworivers » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:25 am

update:

Needed to cut down the seals by 10mm for the connection between the silencers and the collector box, plus i had to open out the hole in the bracket on one side.

No Leaks.

Well i say no leaks, in the silencers there is a small drilled all near were they connect to the collector box, air comes out of there but these holes are from manufacture ( after market ) is this correct.

Bike now back together and running , although i have a popping under deceleration so thats the next thing on my list :o

Oh you said in your last post for me to put my location under my avatar or in my sig, i thought my location was in my sig i.e it shows next to location, sorry i am new to this forum stuff
tworivers

Postby Gman » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:03 pm

The small hole is normal.It's a drain hole.Keep it un-blocked otherwise moisture can build up and cause premature rusting inside.All fuel contains a certain amount of water/moisture plus in the cold damp months over here there's condensation.The best advice I can give is even if you lay the bike up in the Dark months find one good day a month and give it a could 50 mile burn-out.Stops engine seals/brakes/exhaust and clutch etc from premature decay and keeps the carbs lubed.

Nope can't see you sig.You need to enable it in your settings.No biggy.As for the popping in deceleration,

http://cx500forum.com/index.php?/topic/ ... entry55147
Gman
Site Admin

Postby djbreck » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:03 am

Try to get a manual to make your work a lot easier.
djbreck

Return to General Section