Rear wheel removal

Anything you like really.Wheels/Tyres/Tanks/Brakes e.g running gear etc :)
Forum rules
Use Search function for subjects

No Racism.Slanging Matches(unless witty and funny :)
No spamming.Anonymous posting disabled.Ad bots pay for the site.

Rear wheel removal

Postby rooobenek » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:15 am

Hi, I just had a question if i removed the rear wheel on a 81 honda gl500 and there was grease on it when putting it back on do i regrease both sides wheel and gear or is there a bolt i remove and change it from? I notice it says to replace with hyphoid oil but I am not sure where or how? does the whole shaft need to have oil changed? Also on a side note if a little bit of oil is leaking from where the shift lever is, the little gear part that goes into the transmission can this part be easily changed to stop the leak? I appreciate any help thanks alot.
rooobenek

Re: Rear wheel removal

Postby Gman » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:26 am

You can clean and re-pack the grease on the splines.It should be self evident when you get the wheel off.You can download a manual from this good forum links as well,

http://cx500forum.com/

The Hypoid oil type is embossed on the side of the Drive box.It only takes a little and I change mine when I change my oil as a bottle of Hypoid goes a long long way on these bikes.
You use the small bolt to drain and the 17mm Large one to fill.There is also a grease nipple on top of the box that you put 3 squirts of grease in at the same time.

More info here,

http://www.pdsrecording.site90.com/cxgl ... Change.htm

The gear shift seal can be prised out with a flat blade screwdriver and then a new one tapped in.Best done if you drain the engine oil or drain bit as it will seep out a bit if the oil level is normal.

Please put whereabouts you are as it make's it easier to give specific Area/Country advice for parts etc.
Gman
Site Admin

Location: Hull.Yorkshire.UK.2x1980 CX500ZABs:Citroen ZX TD(250,000 miles)

Postby rooobenek » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:48 am

Thanks, that was very helpful. I have tried visiting cx500forum but I haven't been able to access the website in about 3 weeks, it appears to be down or something. Do you happen to know where I get a replacement seal for the transmission gear shift bolt? I am wondering if the leak happened because I put seafoam in the oil and have let it sit because I am working on it. With a flat screwdriver i pull out the ring seal not the gear bolt, correct?
rooobenek

Postby Gman » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:54 am

I NEVER use anything to thin engine oil.I would drain your engine oil NOW!! And replace it with normal engine oil.I have seized an engine because an engine flush removed needed old sludge that builds around big-end shells.

I still don't know where you are so cannot point you to parts?
Gman
Site Admin

Postby rooobenek » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:20 pm

I put it on my profile I am located in El Paso, TX USA. I am draining it now.
rooobenek

Postby Gman » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:59 pm

Click here,

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=536

If you can't get it from them Oil seals are usually a common size used in many engines etc.

I think this is the one,

Number 9 on here,

http://www.donandroys.com/fiche_section ... &fveh=3397

So........

http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/honda ... 5-003.html
Gman
Site Admin

Return to General Section