Putting a Bike On The Centre Stand And lifting Dropped Bike

Anything you like really.Wheels/Tyres/Tanks/Brakes e.g running gear etc :)
Forum rules
Use Search function for subjects

No Racism.Slanging Matches(unless witty and funny :)
No spamming.Anonymous posting disabled.Ad bots pay for the site.

Putting a Bike On The Centre Stand And lifting Dropped Bike

Postby Gman » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:40 am

I've seen this posted quite often and many people who have owned the bikes for a while may not even know.
It's quite easy to raise the bikes onto the centre stand once you know how.

1:Make sure the bike is on firm level ground.

2:Stand on the left hand side of the bike.

3:Using the left hand grip the Left hand Handlebar grip.

4:Using the right hand grip the Cissy/Passenger bar just above or near the rear shocker.

5:Position yourself so you can press the Centre stand extension down to the ground.

6:When the centre stand is firmly on the ground lift yourself up onto the Centre Stand extension whilst pulling up with the right hand and backwards with the left hand.

Your body weight is the key.It will drive the centre stand over it's fulcrum point on the ground and combined with the lifting the rear of the bike and pulling back on the bars the bike will magically lift and come back onto the stand :)

Note:If you don't have passenger bars to grip you may be able to grip under the seat.

If you cannot grip the side of the seat you can go as far back as the rear of the seat with the Right hand or any point you can find to use.

It's worth practising a couple of times until you are happy with,"Your" technique.

I recommend anyone who owns a motorcycle also learn this technique,

http://globalcxglvtwins.hostingdelivered.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=56

In case you drop the bike which you will do sometime.

Here's a slide show as well,

http://www.pinkribbonrides.com/slideshow.html
Gman
Site Admin

Location: Hull.Yorkshire.UK.2x1980 CX500ZABs:Citroen ZX TD(250,000 miles)

Re: Putting the Bike On The Centre Stand

Postby Two Tone Blue » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:32 am

One additional point is to wear your motorbike boots or other sturdy footwear. I once tried this wearing soft soled trainers & did some serious damage to the sole of my foot - I couldn't walk properly for two weeks!!

Good luck,
Ross.
CX500 CB UK '81
Two Tone Blue

Postby jayhanig » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:39 pm

While it is easier to get it up on the center stand with heavy boots on, it doesn't have to be done that way. I have gotten my GL500 up on its center stand barefoot before.... proving that technique is everything. And no, I didn't hurt myself doing it.
jayhanig

Postby Warren » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:38 am

Thanks for this usefal tip ive seen trying for a day to get it up and couldnt because i sitting on it trying to pull it back (new bike owner)

Thanks again

Warren
1982 Honda CX500 Euro Sport
Warren

Postby Blindstitch2002 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:33 am

You know I have seen people put the bike on its centerstand while sitting/hovering over the bike. Almost seemed like it needed a right side peg to add weight to but they did it. As for me it isn't going to happen. 1 because no. and 2 because I cut the 4 inch left extending piece off my centerstand because it didn't look right with a 2 into 1 muffler. If I have a motad it would probably be different.
1979 Honda Cx500 Custom Supertanker
Blindstitch2002

Postby spanish bandit » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:37 pm

Blindstitch2002 wrote:You know I have seen people put the bike on its centerstand while sitting/hovering over the bike. Almost seemed like it needed a right side peg to add weight to but they did it. As for me it isn't going to happen. 1 because no. and 2 because I cut the 4 inch left extending piece off my centerstand because it didn't look right with a 2 into 1 muffler. If I have a motad it would probably be different.

don,when i had a 16 inch wheel,i could not put my bike on the main stand.id drive the back wheel onto a piece of 3 inch timber,then its easy.i havnt tried it with the new 18 inch,cause i still think itl be hard.i have some strong blokes come in my shop,from the construction industry,they could not do it either.the gl,with full fairing is a different beast.
im not weak,i have to lift [jointly]4cwt compactors into the back of pickups
uk 1982 gli silverwing
uk,1981 gl troublemaker

when i feel the need,i do it
spanish bandit

Postby Gman » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:13 pm

The GLs are a PITA to put on the centre stand with a 16" rear wheel :o
Gman
Site Admin

Location: Hull.Yorkshire.UK.2x1980 CX500ZABs:Citroen ZX TD(250,000 miles)

Postby kenglong » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:44 am

I used to think it was just me but I've recently been in temporary possession of a '91 CB750 which has an optional center stand installed. The 750 is a piece of cake to get up on the stand. It's much easier than my GL. (The technique described above is what I use on the GL and it does go up but it takes quite a bit of effort.)
Ken Long
'83 GL650 - Albuquerque, NM
kenglong

Return to General Section