Alternator Replacement

All things electrical
Forum rules
To use Search function add Asterisks around the words like *fork oil*

No Racism.Slanging Matches(unless witty and funny :)
No spamming.Anonymous posting disabled.

Alternator Replacement

Postby snatchpiece » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:17 pm

I'm about to change the alternator stator on my 1980 CX500A, never done this before. I have removed the engine backplate and I've purchased a new stator which has come complete with wiring sheath and all the parts necessary to assemble the connections to the loom, it would appear that I need to cut the wires on the existing stator and thread the wires of the new stator through the rubber cable guide in the back plate. This part of the job would probably be easier if I removed the whole lot from the casing including the fixed pulsers and the advance pulser, what I'm not sure of is, are these pulsers straightforward to fit back into the casing or do they require some 'setting' for them to function correctly? I would be most grateful to anyone who could give advice on this.
1980 CX500A
1980 Moto Morini Strada 500
1959 Matchless G12
1959 Triumph 5TA
snatchpiece

Re: Alternator Replacement

Postby Gman » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:00 pm

This should help,

http://www.electrosport.com/technical-r ... ctions.pdf

I've been fortunate inasmuch as I've only had to swap 2nd hand good ones in so never had to cut and fit a new one yet.

:)
Gman
Site Admin

Location: Hull.Yorkshire.UK.2x1980 CX500ZABs:Citroen ZX TD(250,000 miles)

Postby snatchpiece » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:01 pm

Thanks for the reply Kardan, I think I've answered my own question as I've just taken delivery of a guenuine CX500 manual I got from ebay, it does mention that the advance pulsar should be aligned with the corresponding mark on the rear cover.
1980 CX500A
1959 Matchless G12
1959 Triumph 5TA
snatchpiece

Postby snatchpiece » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:40 pm

DILEMMA

I have examined the positioning of the advance pulser prior to removing it, the mark on the pulser does not line up with the mark on the casing. The engine was running fine. It appears the engine has been apart before judging by the amount of silicon around the mechanical seal. If the marks are supposed to line up under all conditions why are the holes in the plate for the securing screws elongated? So what do I do, re-assemble it as per the book with the marks aligned or put it back where it was? At the moment it's about 1/16 inch out, would that make any appreciable difference to the running of an engine that's done forty thou? If I get it wrong I've got to take the damn engine out again to alter it. Does anyone have any experience of this? Do you think it was moved to out of alignment for a reason? I guess the purpose of the thing is to advance the ignition when required, my one is set out of alignment clockwise when viewed from the back of the engine, will this advance or retard the timing? I would be most appreciative of any comments or advice.
1980 CX500A
1959 Matchless G12
1959 Triumph 5TA
snatchpiece

Postby Gman » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:20 pm

I've never come across that kind of,"Hack" job before so it's new territory for both of us :?

I would go via the manual and line up the AAR unit(Advance And Retard) unit to the marks and everything else as per the manual.Maybe the PO had a problem with the Stator and thought it was a timing issue and tried to compensate by moving the unit.The timing on these engines is pretty much fixed and in no need of changing once set as per the manual/s.
Gman
Site Admin

Location: Hull.Yorkshire.UK.2x1980 CX500ZABs:Citroen ZX TD(250,000 miles)

Return to Electrical Section