CDI modifications

All things electrical
Forum rules
To use Search function add Asterisks around the words like *fork oil*

No Racism.Slanging Matches(unless witty and funny :)
No spamming.Anonymous posting disabled.

CDI modifications

Postby cosmefulanito17 » Tue May 17, 2011 4:34 am

Hello, I open this topic to know if there exists the possibility of altering some component in the circuit to be able to achieve a bit more of final speed in the motorcycle.
According to the specifications that there is in Internet the model custom it has a maximum speed of 160km/h, for what it happened to me to look for the way of achieving some 10-15km/h more to have a speed ceiling higher that it allows major elasticity of managing.
A reform that happened to me is to lower the value of R17 (1K) in order that the SCR needs more voltage of cutoff and this way to achieve a bit more of advance. Do not be if it me designs it is correct, if someone could experiment with this topic I am attentive to his suggestion.bye
http://s1135.photobucket.com/albums/m63 ... icx500.jpg
cosmefulanito17

Re: CDI modifications

Postby Gman » Tue May 17, 2011 11:20 am

I don't think it's possible and even if it were these bikes are old and I would not want to damage the engines by running them above 144 Kph.I rarely run mine above 112 Kph.
Gman
Site Admin

Location: Hull.Yorkshire.UK.2x1980 CX500ZABs:Citroen ZX TD(250,000 miles)

Postby cosmefulanito17 » Wed May 18, 2011 4:03 am

The idea is not to run with the motorcycle, but to have a bit of advantage at the moment of exceeding a car, normally I travel between 110 and 120km/h (70-75mph) without problems, but to spend a car in the highway I would like that the motorcycle had more reaction and a small increase of final speed.
According to the information of Internet and some old articles that I found the final speed of the model custom it is of 160km/h (100mph), whereas other models are about them 170-175km/h (106-109mph); not if this owes a custion of aerodynamics to itself in if or to some electronic change in the motorcycle. In addition there are differences between the models of carburetors, but I did not have the opportunity to check if really mechanical differences exist between those of the model custom and the naked
Finally 2 models of CDI exist: Gold box and black box, does some difference exist between them?
cosmefulanito17

Postby Gman » Wed May 18, 2011 11:01 am

No there are no differences between the Gold and Black CDI boxes.I would not attempt to alter the CDI unit.People have tried for years to make their own and failed.There is a company called Ignitech who make a substitute one,

http://www.ignitech.cz/english/aindex.htm

I have plenty of power for overtaking from 70 mph to around 90 Mph.My bikes have well serviced and balanced carburettors,

You can make your own

http://www.google.co.uk/webhp?hl=en#hl= ... d5f6cca76c

but need the restrictors for the carb boots.I use one of these,
http://www.carbtune.com/

But they are a bit expensive.
If your carburettors are even a little bit out they will impede your performance especially at the Top-end speeds.

Also a properly serviced set of carburettors is important so see the Carburettor section for cleaning tips.
Gman
Site Admin

Postby cosmefulanito17 » Fri May 27, 2011 4:35 am

Hello again, the carburetors I synchronize them with a vacuum meter of professional mercury, as for the cdi I would like to know if someone could experiment on the original circuit since I am technical in electronics and might experiment with knowledge on the topic. What it would fail myself to know punctually is if on having modified SCRP's values the advance is modified. Regards
cosmefulanito17

Postby Gman » Fri May 27, 2011 10:26 am

There has been many attempts to make a Home-made CDI unit and,"Rayman" on the Australian site is the man to ask.

http://australiancx.asn.au/forum/

however I think you are wasting your time trying to modify one.

Check your Spark plugs and caps,

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=84

ad also renew your coils,

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=335
Gman
Site Admin

Postby cosmefulanito17 » Sat May 28, 2011 2:28 am

It seems to me that my idea continues without understanding itself, my motorcycle works perfectly, this one worked with vacuum meter, has changed the resisters of the terminals of spark plugs, new spark plugs, you wind in mint condition, estator newly. My motorcycle works perfectly, only that I him would like to be able to extract 10km/h more or that the response in power is different, nothing more. The motorcycle works to the perfección.bye
cosmefulanito17

Return to Electrical Section