Short Circuit Problem

All things electrical
Forum rules
To use Search function add Asterisks around the words like *fork oil*

No Racism.Slanging Matches(unless witty and funny :)
No spamming.Anonymous posting disabled.

Short Circuit Problem

Postby 1982GL500 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:03 pm

I bought my 1982 GL 500 two years ago - and drove it sparingly in an effort to get back on two wheels after a 16 year draught (had xs1100 xs650 cb175 years ago). The GL would seem to need the battery charged if it sat for a week or so .. so every time I went to drive it - it would usually need a jump. This spring I bought a new battery - and when I installed the POS and NEG cables to the battery and turned the key ON - no power appeared anywhere - not in the gauge cluster or headlight. It appered the battery was dead. I noticed a little smoke from the starter solenoid switch area and that the Red/White wire in the plug in to the starter solenoid switch get hot instantly - so i pulled the main 30 amp fuse. The wire cooled down. Even when the key is OFF - this wire gets hot - and you can see arcing when connecting the battery cables.

When I disconnect the battery and use a two amp charger to the terminals and turn the key ON, the gauges and electrical seem to work fine. When the battery is in - the wire gets hot and nothing works. I noticed that even after pulling all the fuses (horn, lights, turn, stop etc. on the handle bar) that these items STILL work - even after pulling these fuses. ??? So, while running on a 2 amp charger - the accessories work when the fuses are pulled. :?: But nothing works when fuses in and under the battery power.

Well, this seems to sum up my dilemna. Any suggestions would be helpful. I checked the stator wirings for shorts and continuity - and those seem ok. Grounds seem to be OK.

Can't seem to understand why after pulling fuses the horn, stop lamps, and turn lights still work?
1982GL500

Re: Short Circuit Problem

Postby Gman » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:16 pm

There's been on quite a few posts on an associated forum covering electrical faults and it gets busier than this one,

http://cx500forum.com/

Also put your location in your signature alongside your morel and year as it helps people direct you to parts.

I'd say start by changing the main fuse holder,

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=27

and also get a wiring diagram for your model,

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=176
Gman
Site Admin

Location: Hull.Yorkshire.UK.2x1980 CX500ZABs:Citroen ZX TD(250,000 miles)

Return to Electrical Section