New Ground/Earth Strap

All things electrical
Forum rules
To use Search function add Asterisks around the words like *fork oil*

No Racism.Slanging Matches(unless witty and funny :)
No spamming.Anonymous posting disabled.

New Ground/Earth Strap

Postby Gman » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:54 pm

If your RED wires near the battery get really warm

On one of my Cxs I had to make my own Heavy ground cable.I bought one from Autozone/Auto discount shop.You can get them in varying lengths to suit the job.
The main black one from the battery on the bike was nearly corroded through where it bolted onto the frame inside underneath the Airbox.As this was hard to get to I chopped it there and fitted the new one from the Negative of the battery to a bolt that holds the Regulator/Rectifier unit on.I think the cable was around 13" I used YMMV.
Gman
Site Admin

Location: Hull.Yorkshire.UK.2x1980 CX500ZABs:Citroen ZX TD(250,000 miles)

Re: New Ground/Earth Strap

Postby I'm going to GL » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:48 pm

Last weekend while goofing around with other stuff on my bike (82 GL), I added a few redundant grounds just in case. IMHO, the sooner you add a redundant ground (or two), the longer your other cables will last.

I didn't have any grounding issues, so I chose to use small 12 ga black wire (with crimped ring terminals) that I had laying around. I ran a long wire from the ground lug on the starter case (shown below - different on CX I think) up to the forward mount of the ignition coil stand-off (shown by pinkie in next photo).

(Image)

From there, I added two more (black) 6" 12 ga pigtails, each going to the rear mounting bolts areas on each coil (shown by index finger).

(Image)

Certain overkill for sure, but it cost pennies and only took a few minutes.
Oh, speaking of overkill, I decided that having the two coil connectors sticking up out of the harness, just below the tank (hitting tank?) was a bit annoying. So I covered them with a (new) scrap of fat convoluted tubing to shield them form Murphy's gremlins - see second pic right under Dr Doofus' fingers.

I think I might add another to the regulator mount also.
I'm going to GL

Re: New Ground/Earth Strap

Postby Gman » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:39 pm

Good grounding/earthing is a wise move :)

The coils mod is a nice cheap mod and should help stop arcing on the coils or moisture affecting them especially for riders in humid/rainy areas :)
Gman
Site Admin

Location: Hull.Yorkshire.UK.2x1980 CX500ZABs:Citroen ZX TD(250,000 miles)

Return to Electrical Section