Change the Main Fuse holder

All things electrical
Forum rules
To use Search function add Asterisks around the words like *fork oil*

No Racism.Slanging Matches(unless witty and funny :)
No spamming.Anonymous posting disabled.

Change the Main Fuse holder

Postby Gman » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:15 pm

These bikes are usually bought after they have been stood for years and the Main fuse holder near the battery is a cause of many electrical faults because of age/corrosion.
One of my Cxs stopped charging properly and was hard to start.At first I thought it was possibly a Stator problem however I had noticed that the old Main fuse and holder were warm to the touch.
I replaced them with a cheap in-line 30mm type car fuse holder so I could keep all the same style fuses with me

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=449&doy=26m7

This cured the bad starting and bad charging and the bike some 2 years on has never had this problem again so far :)

Some users have opted for the,"Blade" type units,

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=444&C=Maplin&U=SearchTop&T=blade%20fuse&doy=26m7

Gman
Site Admin

Location: Hull.Yorkshire.UK.2x1980 CX500ZABs:Citroen ZX TD(250,000 miles)

Re: Change the Main Fuse holder

Postby LRCXed » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:56 am

Nice addition GL! Compared to my 78 CX, that looks crowded but cool with all the main plugs under there in one area.
I like the idea of the blade fuse, I'll do that if mine ever falls apart.
"If I need to have someone do something for me, why shouldn't I learn to do it myself"
LRCXed

Postby I'm going to GL » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:31 pm

Shortly after doing the fuse holder conversion, I saw the posting on this at CC's forum. Don't recall who did it (sorry!) but they had a more elegant solution from what I recall.

Yes, very crowded here - I've just started to do some of the 'housekeeping' that hopefully will streamline things a bit.(sure am jealous of the 'cleaner' CX set up though).
I'm going to GL

Postby bri-guy-ga » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:57 pm

I am going to do this this weekend hopefully after I get the tank clean. I had the solenoid out to clean the contacts and the spare just fell apart from the slightest touch. Guess being in one place for 25 years will do that to a small piece of metal. I made sure not to touch the mounted one though. I be it would be about the same.

Here is the link to the mod on CC. It's by DaveF.

http://www.genebitsystems.com/david/Mot ... infuse.htm
bri-guy-ga

Postby dcadon » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:26 am

A previous post by "I'm going to GL" - shows a nice clear picture of the 'power panel' on what looks to me to be a GL500.
If somebody could post a picture of the same place, only of a CX500 Custom (1982 would be nice). I'm having a
bit of trouble routing my wire harness around that area. I've got it all to "fit", but I'm sure it's not quite in the
right places.

1982 CX500 Custom.
CXSarnia
CXSarnia
dcadon

Postby Gman » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:31 am

Your wish :mrgreen:

Gman
Site Admin

Postby dcadon » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:03 pm

Thanks Shep,
If I could trouble you some more... can you post some pics of the wire harness going back from the ignition coils through to the electric panel - for routing correctly. I think I got it right, but is still seems a bit like a rats nest near the Air Filter, and above the electrical panel (above)

Thanks.
Don A.
CXSarnia
dcadon

Postby Gman » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:05 pm

Hope it helps,

By elimination.
Right hand coil is Pink wire.
Let hand coil is Yellow wire.
Black and white wire is ground dump required by ignition and Kill Switch(You cannot turn the bike off if there's a break in this wire).
The Wire coming from the Top left and down is from the Neutral Sensor wire Red/Green.Bike will not start if there is a break or short in this wire.The neutral sensor is located underneath the bike at the right hand side back almost identically opposite to where the gear change shaft is on the other side
Yellow/Green wire can't remember off hand would have to look in WD same as the POs connecting block wire.One of them will most likely be a drive to the back lights I think.
Unless the PO has drastically had to change any wires they are colour coded so clean them with some Carb/Brake cleaner to see the colours and connect like-to-like.

PS
Original frame on this bike was red so it needs some black touching up which I will be getting round to soon as I've only just finished today putting a fully re-built engine in and carbs.Just making final adjusments.Fired up 1st time and seems ok.Few teething problems but fingers crossed all is good now.
Gman
Site Admin

Postby dcadon » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:16 pm

See...that's the rat's nest I was talking about. LOL. I don't remember it being like that when I owned the bike, or for that matter, when I re-assembled it. But, your's is pretty much what mine looks like now. Geez, I wish I had taken more pictures during dissassembly!
CXSarnia
dcadon

Postby Gman » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:58 pm

Do you have a Manual as there's the wiring diagram in there.There aslo some coloured ones you can buy,

http://tinyurl.com/58zdhh

Also use the Parts Fiche to give you another view of the area,

http://www.cmsnl.com/search.php?s_name=cx500

I use anything and everything I can find on the net for all sorts of things when tracking down stuff :mrgreen:
Gman
Site Admin

Next

Return to Electrical Section