Electrical connections!

All things electrical
Forum rules
To use Search function add Asterisks around the words like *fork oil*

No Racism.Slanging Matches(unless witty and funny :)
No spamming.Anonymous posting disabled.

Electrical connections!

Postby LRCXed » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:52 am

If your just starting out with a bike that has been sitting for years not being used or just neglected, take the time to go through every electrical connection there is before you even add battery power to it. Make sure there is NO corrosion in ANY part of it, and the female side of the connector is tight around the male side. This sometimes takes a small squeeze on it from a pair of needle nose pliers to accomplish. They have to be tight to conduct the flow properly with no resistance. I'm sure intermittent connections could cause items like the CDI unit to go faulty.
Look inside each spade connector also! Where all those colored plug blocks are! I have found a few of them that were loose and corroded causing poor connections to the point that sometimes the item might work, and sometimes it wouldn't.
I use a thin tip hobby knife blade or dental pic to scrape it down to clean brass. Or a fine small wire brush. You can even get these plugs out of the blocks. There is a small lock pin that clips it in. Look for the slot in the plastic molded hole. You can push a small wire or eye glasses size screw driver down inside it to push in the lock pin. When you get it cleaned and are ready to put it back in, bend the clip back out and its ready to reinstall. I recommend doing this one wire at a time. To many wires out at one time could cause confusion if you didn't draw out a diagram first as to where each one goes in what order. This is a good way to change out a plastic block if the one you have has been badly decomposed by the sun or engine heat, if you can find a good one!

Not to long ago I bought a tail light assembly for the 80 custom. I held the wires to a battery to test them and nothing worked. Pulled the bulbs out and they worked fine. I had to clean out the inside of the sockets and all the connections where the grounds were before it worked. Inside the socket LOOKED clean, but a thin layer of corrosion kept everything from making good contact, especially the ground.

Electrical or dielectric contact grease works well to keep the connections clean and corrosion resistant. I have even used the red battery terminal spray inside them. I sprayed it in the cap of the spray can and dipped the connections in it before I put them back together, wiping off the excess before putting them back together. It has worked well for me on a lot of projects.

If you have a wire that is broken or there is bare wire showing, take the time to solder it. Just as the bullet or spade connections, if you just twist them together, all they are doing is acting like a contact connection, and can build up corrosion in between all those wire strands. Soldering the wire will ensure an uninterrupted flow of current that won't cause resistance!

Shrink wrap tubing is your best and most professional looking protector for most repairs in the electrical system. They have many sizes and colors available to make the job water tight and clean looking. Black electrical tape has it's place and uses, but near all the heat of a motor, and parked out in the hot sun, the tapes glue will get soft and work loose with time, letting in moisture that you will not see until it's to late. I have even put shrink tubing around the entire bullet connectors to make sure they don't come apart.

Bottom line is that if you do it right, you will have the peace of mind knowing your system will give you many years of reliable service. Then if something electrical goes wrong, you would only need to find the bad part, NOT THE BAD CONNECTION! It takes time to do it right, but compare that to the time it would take to get your stranded bike from the side of some back road, if it's there when you get back, and you can see it's a well worth while project!
"If I need to have someone do something for me, why shouldn't I learn to do it myself"
LRCXed

Re: Electrical connections!

Postby jedc53 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:16 pm

I have read all the information about Electrical connections.It is very dangerous,because the connection area decreases,for one thing.The bad electrical connections affect power sources.If electrical connections are loose you have a very high risk of fire.You can done very great work.
jedc53

Return to Electrical Section