Idle Problems, Carb bowl filling with gas

Correctly servicing the Carburettors on these bikes is paramount to good running and fuel economy so any work done will pay back in better mileage :)
Forum rules
To use Search function add Asterisks around the words like *fork oil*

No Racism.Slanging Matches(unless witty and funny :)
No spamming.Anonymous posting disabled.

Idle Problems, Carb bowl filling with gas

Postby Ben52 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:23 pm

I have a 1981 CX 500 Custom. I am having trouble with something in the fuel system, but not sure what exactly it is. The bike runs fine cold. Starts the first time everytime. It runs okay at the high end of the tach as well. Heres the problem: When the bike gets warmed up, it doesn't want to idle very well. It also is rough at takeoffs sometimes. At take off, it will hesitate, and then take off, sometime pretty hard, because I had the throttle open to keep it from stalling. I suspect one of the carbs has an issue or the vacuum system has an issue. I get gas overflow out of the Petcock drain line after I get back from a ride. I have looked inside of the right side carb, and the piston, spring, needle, on top were clean and looked fine. The bowl... however, was full of gass and the screw that holds in the main jet had fallen out. I screwed it back in hand tight. Before I did this the idle seemed fine, but would not run past 5000 rpm. Is this my problem, or could something else be wrong?

Oh, I just checked the side carb bowl again. It was full of gas again. the float is free, and there aren't any holes in it. I have check with all of the manuals and the vacuum hoses are all hooked up right. I have been tinkering with the pilot screw settings, and it doesn't seem to have any affect at all. If I have to take the carbs out, I can't figure out how to release the throttle cables. Please help.

Thanks
Ben52

Re: Idle Problems, Carb bowl filling with gas

Postby Gman » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:10 pm

Check for carb boot leaks and,

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=110

HTH :)
Gman
Site Admin

Location: Hull.Yorkshire.UK.2x1980 CX500ZABs:Citroen ZX TD(250,000 miles)

Return to CV(Constant Velocity) Carbs