Cheap Harley Mufflers for your CX/GL

Forum rules
Use Search function for subjects

No Racism.Slanging Matches(unless witty and funny :)
No spamming.Anonymous posting disabled.Ad bots pay for the site.

Cheap Harley Mufflers for your CX/GL

Postby Blindstitch2002 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:07 am

If you're in the running for a new set of mufflers then you know that they get expensive quick. Well if you're in the US or Canada here's a cheap option for you.

Have you ever went down to the grocery store just to walk out and see a shiny and loud motorcycle pass? Yeah you guess it. Harley Davidson. Harley owners are a long list of words but the two words you need to know is Take Off. Yeah Take Off. In those two word it explains what Harley owners do. First they buy and new bike and before it even gets out of the shop they hand a list to the dealer that says what to throw in the pile and replace before it even gets mile one on it.

So If you're looking for mufflers the Dyna cone shaped mufflers without crossover tubes are a cheap and easy option. They can be had for $30 on ebay or even from the pile at the Harley dealer. The one thing you will have to do is make mounting brackets to hold them to your bike. The Dyna mufflers have a slide on the back of them that make it easy to attach a new bracket. In some cases even the old brackets will work.

Now that you know that here are some pictures.

First a before and after.

And here's an example of one guys way of mounting them. Not my way but works all the same.

And they work on the CX650 too.
Thanks to David from Wisconsin
Last edited by Blindstitch2002 on Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1979 Honda Cx500 Custom Supertanker
Blindstitch2002

Re: Cheap Harley Mufflers for your CX/GL

Postby frank12 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:14 pm

I just got a cx500c and wanted to change the exhaust to make it sound meaner and deeper. I read your post and I really don't know allot about bikes yet. SO if you could help me out with a couple question that I have that would be great. What years dyna cone pipes will fit on my 79 cx and type of bike do I get them off of. So when I order it im ordering the right stuff and not having to send them back. Thanks
frank12

Re: Cheap Harley Mufflers for your CX/GL

Postby Danb » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:21 pm

So Blind you just made a template took a flat piece of metal put in the corresponding holes gave it a twist and they slid right into the h box? Just got a pair of dynas brand new from a harley buddy. Did you re-jet?
Thanks Bud
Danb

Return to Stitch This(Quick Reference links)