exhaust gaskets

Any Mods:Tricks:Customizations:tips.any jobs you have done where you have had to manufacturer your own solutions.Cheap parts to use etc
Forum rules
To use Search function add Asterisks around the words like *fork oil*

No Racism.Slanging Matches(unless witty and funny :)
No spamming.Anonymous posting disabled.

exhaust gaskets

Postby cxmaniac » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:53 pm

A cheap bodge to replace those expensive asbestos gaskets is aluminium tape,i done mine a year ago and there still gas tight.The best thing is they sell a big roll of it in our local £shop for,yes you guessed it a pound :o Simply rap around the silencer or down pipe several times and hey presto jobs a good un.
Black 1980 CX500A
DONT GO OUT ON THE MOOR!!!
cxmaniac

Re: exhaust gaskets

Postby Gman » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:13 pm

I've used that stuff for years as I nab some when I work on my Aircraft sites.It does work but tends to go after a while.I've started using this stuff,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EXHAUST-HEAT-WRAP-TAPE-KIT-CAR-TRACK-RACE-UNIVERSAL_W0QQitemZ350215468472QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item518a77f5b8&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262

Thicker and does a great job as it compresses better when you tighten up the clamps :)

I hate those crappy proper seals as they fall apart as soon as you remove the headers once they have been on a while.
Gman
Site Admin

Location: Hull.Yorkshire.UK.2x1980 CX500ZABs:Citroen ZX TD(250,000 miles)

Postby jckkeith » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:22 am

Running an engine without Exhaust Gaskets?
After a long and furious battle with Gaskets, I've given up. I installed my Exhaust Manifolds without gaskets on them. Is there going to be a down-side to this?
I tightened up the bolts (one side is missing a very front and a very back bolt) and I plan on putting RTV Silicon around the exhaust manifolds, to hopefully seal it up a little bit better. For daily driving, is this going to be a problem? I just need my pickup to be running, It's sitting in between my garage and driveway on stands at the moment. But for driving it a mile to work and school, should I be concerned about this?
jckkeith

Postby Gman » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:42 am

jckkeith wrote:Running an engine without Exhaust Gaskets?
After a long and furious battle with Gaskets, I've given up. I installed my Exhaust Manifolds without gaskets on them. Is there going to be a down-side to this?
I tightened up the bolts (one side is missing a very front and a very back bolt) and I plan on putting RTV Silicon around the exhaust manifolds, to hopefully seal it up a little bit better. For daily driving, is this going to be a problem? I just need my pickup to be running, It's sitting in between my garage and driveway on stands at the moment. But for driving it a mile to work and school, should I be concerned about this?

I would not recommend running without exhaust manifold gaskets.I'm talking about the seals between the down pipes and the H-box and the joint between the mufflers and the H-box.You may have problems if you don't use the manifold gaskets.
Gman
Site Admin

Postby cdyoung1985 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:22 am

Are there gaskets between the header pipe and the motor? I know I don't have any there..... I dunno if I should or not
I ride an 81 CX500C and have an 80 parts bike, for sale, also 83 GL650I in pieces going together once I get the parts I need...
cdyoung1985

Postby CXPHREAK » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:16 am

There is a tubular copper type crush washer in the exhaust port. It's probably there as they hide. Usually they can be re-used so unless there's a leak there on reassembly I wouldn't worry about it. Or give the back face of the port a bit of a clean with a scourer, if you see copper the ring is in there.
CXPHREAK

Postby Gman » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:09 pm

Number two on here,

http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cx500a-1980e ... t/F20.html

They can be gotten off Ebay and they also come in top-end and full gasket sets.

They are the same for all CX/GL500 motorcycles.

HTH :)
Gman
Site Admin

Return to Tips And Tricks(Inc Cheaper substitutes)