Tip For Scratched Plexi Windshields

Any Mods:Tricks:Customizations:tips.any jobs you have done where you have had to manufacturer your own solutions.Cheap parts to use etc
Forum rules
To use Search function add Asterisks around the words like *fork oil*

No Racism.Slanging Matches(unless witty and funny :)
No spamming.Anonymous posting disabled.

Tip For Scratched Plexi Windshields

Postby oldgeezR » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:50 pm

A long time ago I picked up a tip from a co-worker,when I was complaining how much the replacement shields cost on a Face-shield. He was a "bodyman" in a paint shop,and he told me to use Glazing Compound on the scratched up shield...dab a little bit on a soft rag and work it in circles until the compound disappears. So I did so and presto, no scratches! Now I have used this procedure several times on all sorts of plastic lens type material...in fact just now I used 3M Rubbing Compound,(fine cut) on a tinted windshield on my fairing,which is plexi-glass, and it looks brand new.This works with surface scratches the best,,,DEEP gouges would not be an option. I use the 3M brand because it has no silicones,waxes or fillers in the ingredients.Try this on your plastic/plexi-glass windshields,helmet shields,etc; and you'll be amazed. Edit 8/29/09: I recommend a good brand of "glazing compound" as a final coat after application of rubbing compound, for extra protection and removing any clouding or very fine scratches.-R.G.
Last edited by oldgeezR on Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."-Red Green

78 CX500
oldgeezR

Re: Tip For Scratched Plexi Windshields

Postby spanish bandit » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:50 pm

thanks for sharing rog.have you got a live link for that product. :D
uk 1982 gli silverwing
uk,1981 gl troublemaker

when i feel the need,i do it
spanish bandit

Postby oldgeezR » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:39 pm

Sure thing...but not too sure about availability in your part of the world. This is the exact product I have,,,but 3m makes like 5 others too.Google "3m"...look under "R=Rubbing compounds" for full line. I will swear by this particular type in link.

http://www.superiorcarcare.net/3m-fine- ... pound.html
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."-Red Green

78 CX500
oldgeezR

Postby spanish bandit » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:37 am

thanks rog,ill look into it :D
uk 1982 gli silverwing
uk,1981 gl troublemaker

when i feel the need,i do it
spanish bandit

Postby Linny » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:45 pm

Something else that works well is Brasso metal polish. It costs around $3 for a 8oz can. The stuff is awesome. I have used it on boat and snowmobile windshields and my helmet visors. Just dampen a rag and rub it in. For windshields I use a orbital buffer. I had a boat windshield you simply could not see through due to milky fogging. In short order this thing was crystal clear! No one should have trouble finding this stuff.
Linny

Postby RainRider » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:28 am

Fair warning for any glasses wearers tempted to remove scratches - polishing prescription lenses, especially strong ones, become distorted and coatings are easily destroyed. I was desperate enough to try this years ago and ended up stuck using my cheap spares for entirely too long.
82 cx500 Custom, 81 CM400e
RainRider

Postby Gman » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:44 am

Good point.I wear glasses and a spare pair lost their supposed,"Scratch Proof" coating after polishing but as they were spares it didn't matter.
Gman
Site Admin

Location: Hull.Yorkshire.UK.2x1980 CX500ZABs:Citroen ZX TD(250,000 miles)

Postby Rhyno » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:49 pm

Give this thing a try. It's made for headlights. We used to sell these by the case full when I worked for NAPA.
http://www.amazon.com/3M-39008-Headligh ... B001AIZ5HY
Western NY
'79 CX500 Custom
Rhyno

Return to Tips And Tricks(Inc Cheaper substitutes)