Got my Progressive Springs

Any Mods:Tricks:Customizations:tips.any jobs you have done where you have had to manufacturer your own solutions.Cheap parts to use etc
Forum rules
To use Search function add Asterisks around the words like *fork oil*

No Racism.Slanging Matches(unless witty and funny :)
No spamming.Anonymous posting disabled.

Got my Progressive Springs

Postby LRCXed » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:48 pm

Well, the next improvement is here! I got my PROGRESSIVE front fork springs in the mail today! These are supposed to improve the ride of these bikes drastically! So later this afternoon, after therapy, on my shoulder, not my brain, (oh where is that thing anyway.. :? ..) I'm going to install them and see how they do. The nice thing is that they come with very defined instructions. I already put the new rears on and the bike rides better, but with a little bit of a nose down feel to it. This should help level the bike out and smooth out the ride. Now to decide on what W/oil to use with them.
Update later, news at 11 as they say! :roll:
"If I need to have someone do something for me, why shouldn't I learn to do it myself"
LRCXed

Re: Got my Progressive Springs

Postby Gman » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:09 am

As I think you know I run 20w fork oil in mine and it is excellent :)
Gman
Site Admin

Location: Hull.Yorkshire.UK.2x1980 CX500ZABs:Citroen ZX TD(250,000 miles)

Postby LRCXed » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:56 am

That's what I have in now. I'm going to stay with it and see how it goes with the new springs.
"If I need to have someone do something for me, why shouldn't I learn to do it myself"
LRCXed

Postby Blindstitch2002 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:03 am

You'll have to tell us how they work out. Probably better than the first two pairs.
1979 Honda Cx500 Custom Supertanker
Blindstitch2002

Postby LRCXed » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:05 am

UPDATED and Happy! Well it's done! And the bike settled down nice and even again. I left the 20w in it and topped it off to 5.5 inches from the top with the forks all the way compressed. I was even able to do it with the front end still on. All I had to do was loosen the cowling and then take the brake hose bracket off to get it to go down all the way. Put in the springs, washer and the PVC spacer that came with them and recap it. Only about an hour to do it all.

What a difference in the ride and stance! First off I noticed that the front end didn't drop down like it did before. When I sat on it, it only settled a little more than a 1/4th of the total extended distance from full extension. That's what I have read that it was supposed to be when the suspension is tuned properly. Sitting on it feels very even now. Not soft or spongy either!

The first thing I noticed when I rode it was the nose was back up and the bike felt very balanced. The road in my area has just been reworked to put new pipes in, so I hit all the bumps I cold. It handled them very nicely. The suspension absorbed them well and was not to rough at all. A little stiffer that before, but that was to be expected.
On the open road now, that was a real treat. Smooth as glass and very stable. When I went out on the freeway, I hit a few of the connection lines between the lanes and some areas where they grind the curvy lines in the road. It didn't sway or try to follow the lines at all. Just straight ahead and stable. Very nice ride now. Going into a turn was cool too. Now more dive in the front end as I hit the brakes to prepare for the turn. Front end stays up and is Super Stable.

All in all, these progressive front springs were well worth the money! I'll be doing this on my sons 80 custom as well.
LRCXed

Postby Gman » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:51 pm

I've not bothered with progressive forks but just changing from the weak ATF to 20w fork oil made a major difference.Both my CXs have been a joy to ride since doing it some 3 years ago :)
Gman
Site Admin

Location: Hull.Yorkshire.UK.2x1980 CX500ZABs:Citroen ZX TD(250,000 miles)

Postby LRCXed » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:47 pm

I think I'm going to really enjoy the ride now. Its so smooth and stable. I might go down to 15W oil to see if it smooths out a little on the dampening side of it, but that will be later. For now, I ride.
LRCXed

Postby LRCXed » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:53 am

Shep, you should at least try the 1 inch spacer in the forks. I really enjoy the nose up attitude of the ride now! The front end might not dip as much when your going into turns and stops!
LRCXed

Postby Blindstitch2002 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:41 am

Good to hear that there working well. I should really do something to mine and get that ATF fluid out. Maybe a winter repair. I am at least thinking about the pvc spacer to get me a bit higher. Always seems like it's 2 inches lower than it should be from the start. I know their not anywhere near dead yet. Been there done that. Mise well be sitting on the ground.

Do you guys know if there is any advantage over the basic forks and the air forks?
1979 Honda Cx500 Custom Supertanker
Blindstitch2002

Postby LRCXed » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:42 am

When you do it, your going to ask yourself why you didn't do it sooner! At least go to the 20W oil when you do the spacers.
My sons bike came with the air caps, but we didn't put them back on. I'm thinking it was a way to make up for a week suspension. We now have a few better ways to make it better without the air IMHO.
LRCXed

Next

Return to Tips And Tricks(Inc Cheaper substitutes)