Got my Progressive Springs

Any Mods:Tricks:Customizations:tips.any jobs you have done where you have had to manufacturer your own solutions.Cheap parts to use etc
Forum rules
To use Search function add Asterisks around the words like *fork oil*

No Racism.Slanging Matches(unless witty and funny :)
No spamming.Anonymous posting disabled.

Re: Got my Progressive Springs

Postby kingston73 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:22 am

LRCXed is right, I drained and cleaned my forks and put new fork oil in, along with 1 inch PVC spacers, and its amazing how much better it felt. Granted, I was only able to ride it twice with the new fork setup before my problems, but it was a night and day difference from before. Stock, it sagged a good 2 inches at least, and would wallow going around corners. Brake dive was also bad, but with the new oil and spacers it was great around corners and didn't dive nearly as much. I don't have any fairings or cowls on mine, so the whole process didn't take me long at all. It was kinda tough getting the fork cap back on with the spacers in, I almost gave up after the first 5 times.
kingston73

Postby Gman » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:51 pm

Getting those springs and caps down can be a right royal PITA :shock:

But we all get there in the end :D
Gman
Site Admin

Location: Hull.Yorkshire.UK.2x1980 CX500ZABs:Citroen ZX TD(250,000 miles)

Postby I'm going to GL » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:08 pm

Well, I like the sound of ditching the air set up on my bike. It seems that with my typical payload (180 lbs TOTAL) I can't get the air right - seems like I need more payload in order to use air in the forks, otherwise it's way too stiff. It makes me think, like you said, that the air set up is there to compensate for week suspension or when carrying additional payload or passenger. I feel like my body weight alone puts me in 'No man's land' - a few psi and it's too stiff - No psi and it's DEAD! AARRGGHHH

What do you think about this for us cheap bastards-

Drain/flush/fill using 20W (heavier?) fork oil
Configure and install spacers (if needed/desired)
Plug the holes in air caps
Ride
I'm going to GL

Postby LRCXed » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:16 pm

That's what I did with my sons 80 custom, and it works fine. He likes it, but after riding mine he wants the other set of progressives put in his! ;)
"If I need to have someone do something for me, why shouldn't I learn to do it myself"
LRCXed

Postby cdyoung1985 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:14 am

What do the spacers do?
I ride an 81 CX500C and have an 80 parts bike, for sale, also 83 GL650I in pieces going together once I get the parts I need...
cdyoung1985

Postby Gman » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:49 am

They compress the springs a little more giving a stiffer ride.Changing the weak ATF fluid for proper 20w fork oil is one of the best cheap things you can do on the bikes,

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trks ... Categories

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid ... Categories
Gman
Site Admin

Postby tallpaul » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:50 pm

Hi. I would like more info on the pvc spacers tip please. My front forks are leaking so I need to replace the seals. While they are apart I may as well give the springs a helping hand. TIA
tallpaul

Postby Gman » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:17 pm

There's better info on chopper charle's forum Paul.However it doesn't have to be a PVC spacer and I prefer metal.The old trick was to use our old big Pennies as they used to fit in my Norton's forks dead-on.Therefore why not just get some large washers and add a few to each side until you are happy.Heavy fork oil is a must for me.Way better than ATF fluid.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksi ... &_from=R40

I use Motul.

You can do this after you have done the seals as they fit on top of the springs or between the small spring and larger spring if you have the dual spring setup,dealer's choice :)
Gman
Site Admin

Postby tallpaul » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:36 pm

Thanks for the reply Kardan (Shep). Should the spacers/washers go on top of the springs? I am unable to find any reference to stacking coins or pvc spacers on Charle's forum.

Just had another look and understand that spacers go between lower and upper springs. Thanks.
tallpaul

Postby Gman » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:40 am

To be honest I don't think it matters if they are on top or between as the spacers or whatever you use are just pre-loading./compressing the springs :)
Gman
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Tips And Tricks(Inc Cheaper substitutes)